Sunday, December 6, 2009

Oh My Lord...patience is all I pray for! (Well and secretly money)


So off to church today for my second week...oh boy we are off and running! I have had a long break from my faith pursuit. I have returned to my roots and the church of my childhood. But that aside the morning and all it took to get to church is my focus now.

The day started when grand baby Sky could not find her slippers. Not a happy morning person, not at all a morning person. After crawling in with Nana and "Bobob" at some ridiculous early hour she awoke to find them missing. The search and subsequent discovery of said slippers was a traumatic thirty minutes. The girls (both grand babies) and their mother decided to spend an hour in the woods with our two dogs...their dog (big black lab) and my dog (welsh corgi)...both dogs decided to roll in foreign animal pooh...very smelly, sticky and disgusting. Baths for dogs.

Mother, with Alzheimer's was moving from bathroom to bathroom totally thrown off by the dogs, misplaced her coffee four times, forgot where her curling iron was and asked at least ten times what time church started.

There were other moments not worthy of mention, the call from son to tell me a dozen reasons why he was not able to make it to boot hockey with Bobob. My step son's decision to wake up five minutes before he is to leave for his church (he prefers the local assembly of God) and expect access to the bathroom . Oh and did I mention that it snowed last night, first of the year so that all the cars were covered?

So we rush off to church with the snow covering the squirt part of my windshield wipers and the bright sun creating a visual nightmare. Get to church to only find that I did not fully understand the rules of church school for the girls. (that happens between the two services) so they are in church with Mom (who forgets where we are going) and me, Nana. I am not sure who was harder to control during church: the girls who found the small little "benches" which are really for knelling to be wonderful toys but when they tip make a very loud noise or great grandma. One of the bench events happened in the middle of the second Gospel reading. My mother moved her "little bench" all over the place, forgot where she was heading as we walked up for communion and the five year old had to say, loudly, "No Great Grammy this pew" as they wondered around the church two people ahead of me because the youngest grand baby freaked when the Priest tried to bless her. The sermon was good, I am pretty sure.

After communion I knelt down and prayed for patience---that was all....just patience. I am home now. I am waiting for the patience: patiently!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a full plate, Deb. I've just finished the "senior tour", as my Dad died on November 3. Mom preceded him 2 1/2 years ago after a battle with dementia. As a good friend told me while I was in the thick of my ordeal, "You will get to the other side." It's amazing how much strength you can muster-and it doesn't hurt to have a good dog by your side. (Love Corgis-my friend Betsy had to put her 15 year old "Rascal" to sleep this year. He was the truest of gentlemen.) Thanks so much for following my blog- I'll keep an eye on yours as well. Be strong. Joan Harrison & "Gracie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words Joan. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been for your friend Betsy. Hannah (my corgi) is a love. Wow you really do get where I am at with the sr. tour. It is great to meet new people out there who understand the journey.

    ReplyDelete