Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Growing up and being 52


I was talking with a friend of mine earlier this evening. We both agreed that we had something in common: we have changed in our 50's, we love our husbands in ways that we never loved before and suddenly we both like to cook. Seriously cook. Not that I am a gourmet cook ( I am not) but on the weekends I find it wonderfully relaxing and comfortable to cook. I make all kinds of things pretending that the family will eat the left overs for the week. In reality I just love the cooking. I watch the Food Network and totally enjoy it. I am all about Rachel Ray with her 30 min meals (http://www.foodnetwork.com/30-minute-meals/index.html) and Bobby Flay with his show Throwdown.....(http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/index.html )
It is fun and I look forward to who he will challenge and how Rachel will get a meal done in 30 minutes.

The whole point of this is that I am changing. I once was all about how I looked, how the man in my life looked at me and what others thought of me. Now I find that I am about cooking...it is like nesting but I am not having a baby. I care about learning, reading and walking. I am about going to the gym not to look good but to feel good. I am changing and I so wish that I could have felt this way in my 20's and 30's. I am free from lots of things and basically happy with daily life. I think I like being 52 even with all the wrinkles.

1 comment:

  1. That's great! I am not quite 50 yet-will be 47 in August-but I have found my attitude about myself evolving for a while now in much the same direction you mention. Physical self? Not so much, although I want to be healthy I couldn't care less about turning heads anymore. Like you, I find myself pursuing a lot of intellectual and cultural pursuits that eluded me in my 20s and 30s-discovering classics, for example, and cooking! I am in love with The Barefoot Contessa myself. Great post, something I think those of us who have moved into early middle age can certainly relate!

    ReplyDelete