Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thinking back on Monday....


Some Tuesdays feel like Monday. I am certain that this was Monday in disguise or perhaps I got off too easy on Monday, no I do not think so. Monday was filled with lots of work, emotional moments with family and the usually "is it really 5am already?". No this was Tuesday just felt like a repeat of Monday, new emotions and different work. But I know that Monday happened it was a hard day!

Monday after work my "grandgirlies" their mother and I planted a few new plants in honor of Ben, their dog. Ben had been in my daughter's life for ten years (she adopted him at 5-that is her just hours before he died with Ben in the photo). Ben died on Monday morning. It was a very sad thing even though she knew it would happen.

After a Friday visit to the emergency Vet care center it was clear that Ben was in great pain and had few options left at 14 years old. We all spent a wonderful weekend outside in beautiful spring weather and Ben was medicated well enough to seemingly enjoy the time. On Sunday night he showed his greatest pain when he no longer was willing or able to be on the bed to sleep with his family. He whined in the night.

On Monday morning I took the girls to school and Jackie took Ben to his favorite "Roger's Park" a dog park with wooded trails. He only made it to the entrance but still they shared the time on Monday morning alone in "their" place. She bought him treats (slim Jims) and a blue bandanna which was what he wore when he was adopted ten years prior. Shortly after she hugged him for the last time and said goodbye. When the girls came home after school it was a difficult time especially for the five year old.

Jackie believed it was important to help them say goodbye to the dog they loved. We shopped for plants to build a memorial. We ate ice cream and had several ice cream toasts (it was Ben's favorite...cookie dough) and planted the plants and a bush in the front yard. It was a sad day and appropriately so. It was also a day that I was reminded why my daughter is such a special human being.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the loss you are all experiencing, Deb. The loss of pets is especially hard, as they become such a part of our daily lives. We have had our dog for almost 6 years. Even though he can be a stinker some days with his hyperness, he is such a good, mellow dog most times. He fits in perfectly with our lives. It was nice for you all to honor your time with Ben in the ways you did. While Ben will never be replacable, they are lucky to have Hannah there to help distract them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost many well-loved pets over the years, and as I type this share my home with four cats and a dog, all of whom I am very likely to outlive and so I expect to feel the pain of loss again. My condolences to your daughter on the loss of her dear friend.

    ReplyDelete