Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Life's Circles...the family tree!


This weekend was filled with so many things. My father who is in end stages of Alzheimer's was on death's door and suddenly has yet again (seriously ever since he came back from his brain hemorrhage ten years ago after last rites he has had several of these come backs) revived himself...This time it seems he is making contact with all of us. It is so bizarre..no he is not saying "Hello Deb there are so many things I have wanted to share over the last five years"but he is making eye contact...nodding and looking more alert than he has for years. If you mention someones name he looks at his bulletin board with all the family pictures as if he is trying to find them. Each of us, my sisters and I have had moments with him this last week that have been amazing. My daughter Jackie spent an hour with him the other day and what a gift! He is not the frail,thin, toothless old man that you first find when you enter his room. He is Dad and grandpa. He is getting ready to die.


On the other extreme two grand babies who currently live with me have been fighting the flu. Poor girls are both sick,the oldest one having had two separate trips to the ER after rejecting the anti viral medications given. Holding them and caring for them is so profound after just holding Dad's hand. Life goes on and circles back to this little family in this giant universe. Mine.

2 comments:

  1. How profound the circle of life is...
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you celebrate those lucid moments with your Dad and the other piece of heartbreak when your grandchildren cannot be cured with hugs of love to make them well again.
    Don't forget to take care of DEB in all of this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry ...it is amazing how much we balance but seriously I do not think I know any other way. When I have a chance to reflect and be grateful I am overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete