Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Family, the gift of grandchildren


I sit here in the dark with my two grandchildren, two beautiful girls and think how blessed I am. They have spent two days at work with me, trying at times..hmmm that would be yes! But overall impressive. They found the porch at the administration office where I work, it is an older building with a side sun porch (no furniture) just loud wooden flooring and a row of windows. They ran up and down it, they brought their treasures of paper and bits of clay into it and they called it a fort! They moved from beneath the small kitchen table in our office to the porch and to the fort made of my conference table chairs and a throw blanket..oh yes and one pink scarf of mine. Stories and make believe while I answered emails and made obligatory phone calls. We went to the main day program site where our walking trails begin and they ran around the small loop, played on the edges of the container gardens and made up stories about the lawn swing. At five and four the whole world is an adventure.

I sit here in the dark putting into words the moments that I partially ignored today, busy with grants to get out, a family member in need of residential placement and a staff meeting to address fears and rumors regarding budget cuts and lay offs. All the while in my view, parallel to my so important world these two delightful creatures centered my reason for being. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment