Thursday, November 5, 2009

Visiting Dad


So I spoke to Hospice and I talked to the nurses to convey that we really do not want them to force him to eat. I have asked that they discontinue feeding him supplements of calories (to what end I ask?) and that they respect that he and his family understand he is dying. My goodness my poor Dad has been dying a slow death for years. Nancy Reagan was not kidding when she said "the long good bye". I is a horrible disease and a horrible existence. My father would never have wanted to live this way. Yesterday I went to see him before work, he looked old and tired in the morning, really old. He tried to smile and his blue eyes met mine a few times and then he fell back to sleep. I miss him, have missed him for a while now...and yet if I could find a way to scoop him out of that place and bring him home to die....I would in a minute. I will ponder that today.

1 comment:

  1. The emotions I feel for you are too fresh in my heart to express! It’s a long journey you have been on saying goodbye to your father; my you find peace in the days ahead! Thinking of you!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete