Monday, August 24, 2009

Some days get Long!


I have been thinking how some days seem so long...what is that anyway? I can wake up on a day with seemingly nothing important to do and the whole thing flies by. Then there are others that drag endlessly...one meeting to the next, one task to the next all very, very slowly.


I think at times when life throws out curve balls...when family, friends and wellness all become fragile and I become annoyed with the tedious tasks of the day. I have a friend who is facing breast cancer...I have an ex brother in law (whom I care deeply for) who is also facing breast cancer. Both face surgery and difficult times in the next months. Both have deeply touched me. Their lives give me reason to stop and to feel my living in a different way. I see the odds in simple numbers, each day a gift and yet as it passes I am aware that I am statistically closer to the failings of our human bodies and minds. I feel sad and blessed to be with people who face the dark places. I want to know the right words to say, the right way to be present without being trite. I see with brilliant clarity my silly concerns amidst their bravery. Ah life is funny and some days seem so long. It is good that night is here and I am ready to let go. I will send positive thoughts to my two friends.

5 comments:

  1. Its true, life has such a tangled journey, when our task of the day seem the most important, yet remain unresolved and tag along to the next day its overwhelming at times. How do we find the strength and endurance to go forward? My best guess, because we have people who send us those positive thoughts and are our rock in times of need.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of picture for this! I do lift my eyes to the hills and gather strength when needed as I look in awe at the beauty of the earth. It slows me down and puts things in perspective.I hate the fact that it takes someone elses suffering and difficulties to get me to appreciate how blessed I am most days. I have a school friend who has been battling cancer. She has spent most of the last 3 months at Maine Med.while I have been enjoying the sun and the fun summertime activities. I take a moment each day to pray for her and to give my thanks for all the blessings I receive. I cannot imagine how long a day feels when you are facing these medical challenges in life...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true it is...lovely words Christine and Terry I hear that...can I get an Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your brother-in-law is getting the support he needs from VA. I am very lucky to have good insurance; things happened very quickly and with no issue. There lies one of my concerns with government being involved in health plans!

    Surgery was yesterday, home today on pain meds and limited movement (already restless.) All went went fine however, lymph nodes not so fine -- cancer found so they took them out and now definate chemo. Just hoping it's not past the lymph nodes... Thanks for thoughts and prayers

    PS -- St Mary's was great! They put me in a private room in the maternity ward, just like being in a hotel (nice room and so quiet)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Nancy you are brave! I cannot believe you are home and typing. I am glad to hear it is over and good that they got the nodes now. My biggest fear for you is the sitting still part...I know you will not like that. Thank goodness for pain medications.

    What next? Certainly thinking of you and sending you lots and lots of really good prayers!

    ReplyDelete